how to sell a long gun to private buyer legally in North Carolina? | North Carolina Gun Owners logo_ncgunowners_com_small

how to sell a long gun to private buyer legally in North Carolina?

ericc40

Reactions
please move this post to other section if it doesn't belong here.

I know for handgun private trading, I need to see the ID and CCL or handgun purchase permit. How about long gun? Does it mean I have to ask buyer to show CCL or handgun purchase permit to make sure they are legal to own firearm? Or I need to complete the transaction at a gun shop and ask the shop to run a background check for me? What's the proper way?

I hope this isn't a double post, if so, please lead me to the specific thread?

Thanks in advance.

JCox

Reactions
ericc40 said:
please move this post to other section if it doesn't belong here.

I know for handgun private trading, I need to see the ID and CCL or handgun purchase permit. How about long gun? Does it mean I have to ask buyer to show CCL or handgun purchase permit to make sure they are legal to own firearm? Or I need to complete the transaction at a gun shop and ask the shop to run a background check for me? What's the proper way?

I hope this isn't a double post, if so, please lead me to the specific thread?

Thanks in advance.
Eric,

Since long guns are sold by passing the Instacheck when the dealer calls it in just prior to the purchase, here is what I would do if I were you.

I would ask the buyer to see their CCL or Pistol Permit to Purchase and make a copy of which ever one it is. There is no need to keep the permit since it's for pistols only. That way, you have some kind of documentation that the person has at least passed a background check at least within the last 5 years or maybe even sooner depedning on the date they got the Pistol Purchase Permit. Just keep it on file and I would also do a hand written or typed receipt. Put who you sold it to along with the serial number and maybe even how much. Put the model number too. After you get it done, you sign it and let them sign it and maybe make a copy to give to the buyer. Keep the copy of the CCL/Pistol Permit with the receipt/bill of sale.

At least this way, you'll have a better idea on the background and if BATFE or Law Enforcement ever comes knocking on your door, you'll have some kind of documentation to cover you.

sultan62

Reactions
Legally speaking, all you need to do is make sure the person is at least 18 and an NC resident-a valid NC Driver's License works fine. You don't need to copy anything, keep any kind of record, etc.

Moshe

Reactions
Sultan is right. Pistol permits of any kind are not required for a long gun. I'd just sell (or buy) it after making sure they are of age and a resident.

WinThePennant

Reactions
I admit that I always trade my used guns in for new ones because I don't want the hassle of selling to a private citizen.

dwonda

Reactions
Legally speaking, all you need to do is make sure the person is at least 18 and an NC resident-a valid NC Driver's License works fine. You don't need to copy anything, keep any kind of record, etc.
This is incorrect, there is no minimum age requirement.

vinfox

Reactions
@mightyox …. You’re the resident zombie thread expert…based on absolutely no evidence….but is this the most zombified resurrection?

mightyox

Reactions
@mightyox …. You’re the resident zombie thread expert…based on absolutely no evidence….but is this the most zombified resurrection?
I'll have to check my records but its very, possible. Sultan was a good dude, wonder if he's still around.

Bailey Boat

Reactions
I see the Communist and Panty Waist folks are out in force today...... Idiots....

NCGO Vendors

Support our great vendors - they help keep NCGO going!
Find the NCGO Vendors near you
Benefits of becoming a vendor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonScarborough

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just moved in from Richmond,VA. What are the rules for posting a rifle for sale?
Looking to buy a 9mm or 40 for around 200 bucks. Located in Raleigh Nc, have concealed carry permit
ncshooter+1 wrote on Admin's profile.
Don't know the problem? When I post a new tread it never seems to make the 'New post' or the 'Trending' page. I have over 1,200 post and many treads starting by me, none have ever hit the 'New Post' page, and seldomly hit 'New Post' when others respond,
Riding Shotgun wrote on weaponoffreedom's profile.
Hey Buddy, I do appreciate your wanting to walk with the Lord, and I feel compelled to point his out for your benefit as a Christian. God tells us to answer anger with a soft reply. Also, we don't act like, or speak like the world, we don't use bad language. This is meant to help you in your walk with Christ, not bust your chops.
james slate wrote on OklawahaAR's profile.
do u have pics

Members online

No members online now.